Cleaning and Caring For Your New Designer Handbag.
Posted November 14, 2008on:
Here at DollsBags.com one of the most frequent questions that our customers often ask us is: “Do you have any tips for cleaning and taking care of my new designer handbag?” As a matter of fact, we do!
Now that you have received your new designer handbag, you’ll want to to take care of it so it always looks as good as the day you bought it. Sometimes this is harder to do than one might think. Why? Because handbags get abused. They end up on the floor, under the table, in resteraunts. They get thrown across the front seat of vehicles. Makeup spills and perfume disasters happen all too often. Dust, dirt, grime, grease, pen marks, fading, water, environment, and a host of other things can quickly ruin your nice new expensive purse. So what’s a gal to do? Take a few precautions and learn to clean and care for your new bag like it was a piece of jewelry, many cost as much (if not more) than a fine diamond necklace.
Lets start with some tips:
- When not in use, store your purse in its dust cover. This will protect it and keep it from fading. If you are concerned with the bag holding it’s shape, loosely stuffing it with tissues will help. Be careful not to over-stuff it though as doing so may cause it to stretch. A soft pillow case also makes a good dust cover.
- Use a handbag organizer or bag liner. We have handbag organizers made by The Cherry Brand in various colors and sizes. A handbag organizer will keep the interior of your purse free from those cosmetic and makeup disaster and, as an added benefit, make it very easy to switch all the contents of your purse to a tote or another purse in one easy step.
- Be careful about where you put your handbag at work. Desk drawers are notorious for tearing or putting puncture holes in your expensive purse. Thumbtacks, splinters, and sharp metal edges are all of your handbag’s enemies.
- Use a Purse Hanger. Purse handgers are all the rage these days ladies! It keeps your handbag off the dirty floor and can be used almost anywhere that there is a firm ledge to hold your purse. This includes: resteraunt tables, desks, dressers, the neighborhood bar, nightstands, shelves, and more. Floors and bathroom stalls are terrible for your bag and a breeding ground for bacteria.
- Rain and water are bad for your bag. There are many good water repellent and leather cleaning products out there on the market these days. It is always preferable to wipe off a wet leather handbag immediately. But if that is not possible for some reason, allow a wet or damp leather handbag to dry naturally in ambient room air temperatures, away from any heat sources.
- Condition that leather. More often than not, your new designer bag has not been treated. A leather handbag is no different than any other fine leather product on the market these days. It deserves even more attention, so treat it with a high quality leather conditioner. Doing so will keep it soft and pliable, which is very important so the leather doesn’t dry out or become brittle over time and exposure to the elements. Piel Leather Conditioner works well but there are many other wonderful leather conditioners out there. Apply the product evenly (to the cloth first – not directly on the bag) and be sure not to miss any spots. Make sure your handbag is clean prior to conditioning it. Which leads us to the next topic…
- Cleaning your designer handbag. Never ever use household cleaners or chemicals to clean leather! Only use cleaners designed for leather materials. Purchase a high quality leather cleaner and follow the directions exactly.
- Mildew loves leather! Do your best to keep your new expensive designer bag out of high humidity environments. Bringing your handbag into a steamy bathroom after a hot shower is always a bad idea. If you need your cosmetics and they are inside your purse, throw them into a small cosmetic case and bring that into the bathroom instead.
- Clean the inside of your purse. If your purse has a satin lining, a damp sponge and mild soap will work well. Be careful with the pens and pencils. Your cell phone can very easily transfer dirt to the interior of your bag, along with makeup that is not closed properly. Don’t just toss the makeup into the bottom of your purse. Get a small plastic soft-sided case to hold those essentials instead.
- Clean the exterior of your purse. Ever watch your hubby wax the car? Don’t apply cleaners like that! Remember to test your cleaner in an inconspicuous area before applying it to your bag. In this way, you can be sure that it will not harm the material. If you are unsure or uncomfortable cleaning your handbag, take it to a professional. Lovinmybags has some excellent cleaners and conditioners. They even do handbag restorations. Apple Leather Care products work very well too.
You can keep your expensive designer handbag looking “good as new” by following these small tips. It really is amazing what some women put their handbags through. A designer handbag is an investment. You have worked hard to acquire one. Treat it well and it will last you for years to come.
Every handbag reflects it’s owner in some form or fashion. It reflects your individual tastes and personality.
What does your handbag say about you?